How to Navigate Our Blog

Please use the Categories section to navigate our blog. You can find it on the right-hand side of the page.

Be sure to scroll all the way down to the bottom of the page to catch all the posts for that Category. You may need to refer to the Archives area for older posts.

Finally, don't forget to check out our suggested links at the bottom of the column on the right!

Tuesday, February 6, 2007

Update on Bookly’s Performance Review

Yesterday, the Director of my Branch (my supervisor's boss's boss) came in to talk to me about my performance review. He's happy with the results and has decided to make a minor change to our organizational structure:

  • I used to work on a variety of projects with several different units across the Branch in a project support role.

  • I'm now supposed to work primarily with the strategic planning unit in a project lead role.
Ok, I admit, this is shop talk to anyone not in my line of work, but it's a good thing.

Here's Why:

My work is now centralized to one unit, making this is a good thing for me for two main reasons:

Breadth vs. Depth

A key determinant to success or failure in the business world is your product/service offering. If you were to open a pizza joint, are you going to offer a couple types of pizzas and lots of other things? Or are you going to offer lots of different types of pizzas, and a couple of other things? It's almost always better to specialize in at least one thing and to be competitive with that, while offering some other general things. For example, I specialized in marketing management (particularly in the strategic planning side), and can offer general skills in software & hardware support, among other things.

Anyways, in the project support role I worked on a variety of projects with several different units (like a jack of all trades - breadth). In a project lead role, I'll be working on a few related projects allowing me to "specialize" (depth). This leads into the second reason why this is a good thing for me.

Brand Management

In the first post about my performance review, I wrote about how I was worried that my brand image and brand equity have been damaged over the last few months, and that it might affect my performance review.

This update will greatly aid my brand management efforts because now they are focused on one primary target market (the strategic planning unit), and not on so many other target markets.

But...

I'm not sure I want to stay with this job.

More to come…

No comments: